Kenyan sports minister Paul Otuoma said on Wednesday he would disband the election process set up by Fifa to organise the national football federation polls.
Otuoma said he had lost faith with the Independent Election Board (IEB) set up by Fifa earlier this year to organise the elections, which have already been postponed twice since April.
“Enough is enough. The government cannot allow for discussions to go on for a year now and yet the football standards are falling. We are ready to face the consequences,” Otuoma told reporters.
“The government options are very clear that we are going to disband this whole exercise. As a country we are going to back to the drawing board, build up our management systems and build our teams from the country.
“Thereafter we will make fresh applications and they (FIFA) will admit us anytime they feel they are ready to admit us.
“This whole exercise is not adding any value to Kenya because if you look at our rankings, we are currently at 130 — that is even below a human development index. A country like Kenya should not be in such a place, so we are just embarassing ourselves on the international stage. There is nothing we are doing,” he added.
Kenyan football has not held national elections since December 2005 and two rival bodies have been fighting for control of the sport in the country.